Wondering when the best time to conduct a leadership feedback survey? Even with the uncertainty of the COVID-19 pandemic, the answer is likely right now.
Leadership effectiveness surveys are an excellent methodology to assess the strengths and weaknesses of management.
Establishing a benchmark, like an employee net promoter score (eNPS), is a great way to identify what employees are most and least satisfied with. This type of insight is proven to increase employee engagement and decrease turnover.
Our employee survey company recently conducted a leadership effectiveness survey with a manufacturing company. This blog post will detail the objectives, process, and results from the market research.
Objectives of the Leadership Feedback Survey
A manufacturing company hired our employee survey company to conduct a leadership effectiveness and culture survey with its staff. The market research involved reaching out to employees of the organization to request their feedback.
The goal of the leadership feedback survey was to:
- Measure leadership effectiveness
- Identify opportunity areas to improve
- Establish a benchmark
The employee survey provided the leadership team of the manufacturing company with definitive, measurable, and actionable feedback to guide the next steps with upper management.
Approach to the Leadership Feedback Survey
To address the objectives of the manufacturing company, Drive Research recommended using an email survey to collect employee feedback. The reason our employee survey company often recommends an online approach is because of its many benefits.
Email surveys are commonly the most cost-effective market research methodology in comparison to other avenues such as by mail or phone.
Plus, online surveys are the quickest approach to collecting data. Lastly, you are not sacrificing the quality of data with online leadership effectiveness surveys. The insights collected are both high quality and measurable.
Process of Conducting a Leadership Feedback Survey
When working with a third-party employee survey company, like Drive Research, there is a streamlined process for measuring team feedback. This process includes:
- Signing a proposal
- Scheduling a project kickoff meeting
- Writing the leadership feedback survey
- Programming and testing the survey
- Launching the survey to employees
- Cleaning and analyzing the data
- Writing a market research report
- Scheduling a project debrief meeting
More Information on the Manufacturing Employee Survey
Fieldwork for the leadership feedback survey began on September 8 and lasted until October 9, 2020. The survey took an average of 12 minutes to complete and included 49 questions.
The survey received 230 responses from employees of the manufacturing company.
The response rate is 88%, which is excellent. According to Forbes, the average employee survey response rate ranges between 30% to 40%.
Additionally, the reliability of this data is exceedingly high. At the 95% confidence interval, the margin of error for these results is +/- 2.2%.
This means if the leadership effectiveness survey was conducted with another random 230 employees, results would yield within +2.2% or -2.2% of the totals 95 out of 100 times.
Example Leadership Feedback Survey Questions
The custom-written employee survey included 49 questions. Examples of leadership effectiveness survey questions include:
- How important are each of the following when determining satisfaction with a job? (Compensation, relationship management, etc.)
- How likely are you to recommend [NAME OF ORGANIZATION] as a place to work? Please explain.
- How has your job satisfaction with [NAME OF ORGANIZATION] changed over the past 12 months?
- How does [NAME OF ORGANIZATION] compare to employment at other organizations?
- How much do you agree with the following statement? “Leadership holds me accountable at work.”
- How much do you agree with the following statement? “Leadership holds others accountable at work.”
- How much do you agree with the following statement? “My manager models the values of [NAME OF ORGANIZATION].
- What would you recommend your immediate supervisor keep doing? Enter your response below.”
- What would you recommend your immediate supervisor change? Enter your response below.
Results of the Leadership Feedback Survey
The results from the leadership effectiveness survey remain confidential with the manufacturing firm. The client received a comprehensive market research report.
This deliverable included:
- Background and methodology of the employee survey
- An infographic
- Results snapshot
- Key findings and expert recommendations
- Employee persona
- Full appendix
The appendix includes the question by question analysis of the survey and a copy of the survey documents.
Drive Research is an employee survey company located in Upstate New York. Our experts work with clients across the country in a variety of industries to build out custom market research and employee programs.
Interested in receiving a quote for a leadership effectiveness survey? Contact Drive Research below.
- Message us on our website
- Email us at email@example.com
- Call us at 888-725-DATA
- Text us at 315-303-2040
As a Senior Research Analyst, Emily is approaching a decade of experience in the market research industry and loves to challenge the status quo. She is a certified VoC professional with a passion for storytelling.
Learn more about Emily, here.