When it comes to promoting products and services, there are a lot of unanswered questions as it pertains to your target audience.
- What percentage of Americans are aware of your product or service?
- What percentage of Americans are aware of your competitor's products and services?
- Are certain demographics more aware of your brand vs. a competitor and vice versa?
As with solving most business objectives, market research can help.
Product awareness and purchase intent research provide brands with clear data to drive decision-making and marketing initiatives.
Understanding the level of awareness for your product as well as competing products is a crucial step in acquiring new customers.
Learn how to accurately measure brand awareness and purchase intent with retail market research in the case study below.
Objectives of the Product Awareness and Purchase Intent Research
Our retail market research company partnered with an e-commerce company that sells sleep products online and in retail locations.
The brand was interested in measuring consumer awareness and purchase intent around their line of mattresses.
During the project kickoff meeting, Drive Research asked the mattress brand about their key objectives for the product awareness and purchase intent research.
The objectives included:
- Measuring the level of awareness of our brand as well as competitors.
- Measuring the perception of our brand as well as competitors.
- Understanding the market share of our brand as well as competitors.
- Identifying the level of appeal of our products and services as well as competitors.
- Understanding what would help consumers make their purchasing decisions.
- Understanding what would make a product more appealing to consumers.
Keeping these goals for the market research in mind, our team used these objectives as a baseline for writing and fielding the online survey.
Target Audience of the Product Awareness and Purchase Intent Research
When conducting this type of market research it is important the respondent criteria closely align with your target demographic of customers.
For this particular client, the target audience consisted of:
- National audience
- Respondents who have shopped at Target at least once in the past three months
- Respondents who intend to make a mattress purchase in the next 18 months
The incidence rate for the study is assumed to be 10% to 20% or higher
Conducting the Product Awareness and Purchase Intent Research
Drive Research follows a streamlined process when executing online surveys.
At a high level, our process includes:
- Signed market research proposal.
- Kickoff meeting with our team and your internal stakeholders.
- Survey design, approval, and programming.
- Send the survey to fieldwork.
- Collect, clean, and analyze survey responses.
- Write a custom market research report with expert recommendations for how to implement the data to drive business and marketing decisions.
Highlights of the product awareness and purchase intent survey:
- Survey expected to address shopper behavior, attitudes, usage, SWOT, competitors, and reactions to concepts
- The survey took an average of 10 minutes to complete and included 52 questions
- The survey received 500 responses
- Fieldwork was conducted with adult residents of the United States
- Quotas were created to ensure the mix of respondents was Census representative
- Fieldwork for the survey began on April 7 and lasted until April 21, 2021
Results of the Product Awareness and Purchase Intent
In addition to sharing the highlights of the results by email, several interactive report links were included.
While the results of the study are kept confidential with the mattress brand here are a few highlights of the results.
With a probabilistic sample, a total of 500 responses at the 95% confidence level offers a 4.4% margin of error.
For context, if the survey was conducted with another random pool of 500 respondents, the results would yield within +4.4% or -4.4% of the stated totals in the reports.
The market research report shared key findings such as those included in the subtopics below.
- “The top three sources respondents would use to help make a mattress purchase decision were…”
- “When asked to rank what is most important when purchasing a mattress four factors stood out. This included the…”
- “Brands with the highest awareness included…”
- “Brands with the highest percentage of positive perceptions included…”
- “The most commonly owned mattress brands included…”
- “After reviewing the [ad test], [example %] of the reactions were positive and [example %] of the reactions were negative.”
- “After the [ad test] image was shown, respondents were asked how appealing the mattress is for them in the future. Nearly [example ratio] respondents said the [insert product] was appealing.’
- “Nearly [insert ratio] felt the [insert product] would be priced similarly to other mattress brands.”
Brand and department stores:
- “If shopping for a [insert product] at [insert department store], many respondents mentioned being [example] would help them make their purchase decision.”
- “[Insert ratio] of respondents would also be interested in purchasing mattresses at [insert department store].”
Drive Research, a full-service market research company, partners with organizations across the country to execute end-to-end qualitative and quantitative research studies.
Our team of certified market research professionals can help your team easily measure product awareness and purchase intent with your target demographic.
To learn more about our services, contact our team today!
- Message us on our website
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call us at 888-725-DATA
- Text us at 315-303-2040
As a Senior Research Analyst, Emily is approaching a decade of experience in the market research industry and loves to challenge the status quo. She is a certified VoC professional with a passion for storytelling.
Learn more about Emily, here.