This article includes 10 of the best market research quotes from influencers, authors, and some of the most well-known historical figures in the world. They provide context to help us understand the world of market research and analytics.
Our full-service market research company consults with brands coast-to-coast to manage surveys, focus groups, and other projects.
We offer a full suite of qualitative and quantitative market research services.
Here for quotations? We have you covered.
There are some great quotes about analytics and market research available through a simple Google search. What isn’t available through a Google search these days?
They touch on opinions, learning, understanding customers, marketing, and imagination.
Here are 10 of my favorites that have stood the test of time.
1. "Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." - W. Edwards Deming
So many business decisions are made on gut reactions.
While many pay off, many force bankruptcy and debt too. You just don't hear about them as much.
Use research to gather aggregate data and see how other opinions compare to yours.
2. "Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning." - Bill Gates
In the proverbial 0 to 10 scale, companies love their 9s and 10s.
But a company can arguably learn more from their 1 to 6 ratings than those on the high-end of the scale.
Identify your drivers of dissatisfaction to improve overall satisfaction. It almost seems too simple, no?
3. "The aim of marketing is to know and understand the customer so well, the product or service sells itself." - Peter Drucker
Customer experience (CX) research is worth a lot to a business.
Lead qualification studies aim to understand key drivers to purchase, identify profiles of customers, which allow sales to fall into place.
4. "Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Werner von Braun
Each is built on the premises of the unknown.
A market researcher (sometimes referred to as a professional Googler) is a perfect starting point.
5. "Doing research on the web is like using a library assembled piecemeal by pack rats and vandalized nightly." - Roger Ebert
Although a good starting point, don't trust everything you find on Google.
Sure there's lots of information, but sometimes it pays to hire a market research consultant that can guide you to more credible sources than say, Wikipedia.
6. "Our society needs more heroes who are scientists, researchers, and engineers. We need to celebrate and reward people who cure diseases, expand our understanding of humanity, and work to improve people's lives." - Mark Zuckerberg
Thanks, Mr. Facebook for the kind thought. I 100% agree.
Although I don't cure diseases (...yet), I like to think we help people understand humanity and improve lives.
7. "The older I get, the less I listen to what people say and the more I look at what they do." - Andrew Carnegie
Ethnography and Philip Graves (author of Consumerology) are two peas in a pod.
Observational research can be a more true reflection of consumer purchasing behavior than asking them to reflect on a decision post-purchase.
Big Data likes to think so too.
8. "Marketing without data is like driving with your eyes closed." - Dan Zarrella
Market research lays out road maps for businesses.
Simple directional research can tell you whether to turn left or turn right which can save your business time and money.
Our market research company loves this quote so much, you find it in most of our proposals and our reports.
9. "Don't use big words. They mean so little." - Oscar Wilde
The objective of writing a survey is to relate to the respondent, engage them, and fish out information.
The objective of writing a survey is not to have the survey taker finish and say "there were 6 words in that script that I didn't know existed in my native language. Wow, that survey writer is a smart gal."
Don’t complicate wording. Do the opposite. Explain it like the survey respondent is a third-grader.
10. "Imagination is the highest form of research." - Albert Einstein
A great 10th and final quote.
Research doesn't always have to be quantitative or qualitative. Sometimes it can just be thinking creatively and imagining concepts.
This form of research happens every minute of every day. This quote was brought to you by the people who invented the toaster and pretty much everything else we use on a daily basis.
(Cue the "More You Know Star" and jingle).
Drive Research is a full-service market research company located in Syracuse, New York. Our experts help businesses from all over the world execute both quantitative and qualitative research projects.
Interested in receiving a quote or proposal for market research? Contact us through any of the four ways below.
- Message us on our website
- Email us at [email protected]
- Call us at 888-725-DATA
- Text us at 315-303-2040
George is the Owner & President of Drive Research. He has consulted for hundreds of regional, national, and global organizations over the past 15 years. He is a CX certified VoC professional with a focus on innovation and new product management.
Learn more about George, here.