What is Unaided and Aided Awareness in Market Research?

One of the most common and sought after metrics in market research is awareness. Whether it is awareness of a product, awareness of a brand, or awareness of advertising - businesses spend an exorbitant amount of money seeking the answer to this question. In the path to purchase, awareness is the first step of an often long decision-making process. If customers are not aware of your product or service, they obviously cannot buy it.

Collecting awareness statistics will help a business make more strategic decisions. Surveys can help address the percentage of your customers and prospects which use a variety of marketing channels. For example, your survey can answer what percent watch television, listen to the radio, use Facebook, use Twitter, use online search, etc. Knowing what percent use each of these channels can help you better spend your marketing dollars in the areas where your customers spend their time. A simple image and awareness survey (completed online or by telephone) can help you address some of these factors and more.

What is Unaided and Aided Awareness in Market Research?


What is unaided awareness?

Unaided awareness is the percentage of respondents aware of your product, brand, or advertising top-of-mind without being assisted. In a survey, respondents might be asked: "What brands of athletic shoes come to mind?" Respondents will state Nike, Adidas or other brands open-ended without being aided. The aggregate number of respondents mentioning each brand would be your calculated unaided awareness figure.


What is aided awareness?

Aided awareness is the percentage of respondents aware of your product, brand, or advertising when asked. In a survey, respondents might be asked: "Are you aware of Nike athletic shoes?" Respondents will state yes or no to clarify their aided awareness of each brand. Aided awareness questions are only asked if the respondent fails to mention the brand unaided. The aggregate number of respondents mentioning each brand would be your calculated aided awareness figure.

Unaided and aided awareness calculated together will provide a business a total awareness figure.


How do you calculate total awareness?

If 63% of respondents are aware of Nike unaided, and another 31% are aware of Nike aided, the total awareness of Nike is calculated to be 94%.


Contact Drive Research

Drive Research is a market research company located in Syracuse, NY. We specialize in a number of custom-built survey projects. Thinking about conducting an image and awareness survey by telephone or online? Contact our firm today at info@driveresearch.com or by calling 315-303-2040.

Market Research Glossary