Your Voice of Customer (VoC) program and outcomes are only as good as the instrument and questions you ask in your survey.
To best reach your customers, your organization feels it is most beneficial to include the link to the online survey in an email. You hit send on the email and it is received by your entire contact list.
Online survey responses start flooding in.
However, as you start to look at the results you notice the feedback you've collected is not helpful or answering the main objective you've set forth when creating a VoC survey. Why is this?
Poorly designed questions result in poor insights, recommendations, and strategy.
Garbage in. Garbage out.
Wouldn't we all love to ask our customers 100 questions? Unfortunately, they do not have the time, and most aren't willing to spend more than about 3 to 5 minutes answering a survey.
Therefore, it is crucial to make sure the 15 questions you choose to ask are the right ones.
The questions you choose depend on a number of factors:
- Your line of business
- Whether you are B2B or B2C
- The type of product or service you sell
- Who your customers are
45 of the Best Voice of Customer (VoC) Questions
Our VoC research company understand choosing the right 15 can be a difficult task. The options are endless but lucky for you, we've selected the best of the best and provided you a virtual menu of VoC questions for your choosing.
We've separated the questions into several categories:
- Awareness and Image
- Demographics or Firmographics
- Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Lead Generation
Don’t have time to read through all 45 Voice of Customer questions? Watch this 60-second video to learn our top 3 customer survey questions.
A critical question to include when conducting VoC research revolves around the image, awareness, and perception of your company.
This style of question allows an organization to understand what is most top of mind among respondents when they hear the name of their company.
By asking this, your business is able to better measure brand awareness and perception in the eyes of your current customers, potential customers, and the general public.
Sample image and awareness questions to utilize in your customer survey include:
- What word or phrase comes to mind when you see or hear [INSERT COMPANY, BRAND, PRODUCT, OR SERVICE]?
- What company comes to mind first when you think of [INSERT COMPANY, BRAND, PRODUCT OR SERVICE]?
- Where have you seen or heard information about [INSERT COMPANY OR BRAND] in the past 6 months?
- What is your preference for communicating with [INSERT COMPANY OR BRAND]?
- Which of the following social media platforms do you use on a weekly basis? [LIST OF SOCIAL MEDIA CHOICES: FACEBOOK, LINKEDIN, INSTAGRAM, TWITTER, ETC.]
- How does [INSERT COMPANY, BRAND, PRODUCT OR SERVICE] compare the competition? [INSERT COMPANY] is? [MUCH BETTER, SOMEWHAT BETTER, THE SAME, SOMEWHAT WORSE, MUCH WORSE]
- How does [INSERT COMPANY, BRAND, PRODUCT OR SERVICE] compare to the competition on each of the following factors?
- Have you purchased any [INSERT PRODUCT OR SERVICE] from a company other than [INSERT COMPANY OR BRAND] in the past 12 months?
- Which company have you purchased the most [INSERT PRODUCT OR SERVICE] from in the past 12 months?
- How appealing would each of the following be to you? [INSERT LIST OF NEW PRODUCTS, SERVICES, OR CONCEPTS]
- Have you purchased any [INSERT PRODUCT OR SERVICE] from [INSERT COMPANY OR BRAND] in the past 12 months?
- Which product(s) or service(s) have you purchased from [COMPANY OR BRAND] in the past 12 months?
- Approximately how long have you been a customer of [INSERT COMPANY OR BRAND]?
This will give your organization insight into the decision-making process directly from the mouths of your target audience.
- What factor(s) matter most to you when selecting a company for [INSERT PRODUCT OR SERVICE]?
The feedback from this question should guide the marketing strategy of your brand or organization.
For example, the most popular factors mentioned by the respondents of a VoC survey conducted by a clothing store are:
- Quality of clothing
- Easy online purchases
If the clothing company meets these standards, the retail store should highlight these important factors in its marketing efforts, whether it be on the website, on social media, an email campaign, etc.
If not, this feedback now serves as identifying areas of improvement for the clothing store.
- Which of the following categories best describes your age? [LIST AGE GROUPS]
- Which of the following genders do you most identify with? [LIST GENDERS]
- Which of the following best describes your total annual household income from all sources? [LIST HHI RANGES]
- Which of the following best describes your total annual company revenue? [LIST REVENUE RANGES]
- Which of the following best describes your title at your company? [OPEN-ENDED OR LIST OF TITLES OR ROLES]
- Which of the following best describes the industry you work in? [OPEN-ENDED OR LIST OF INDUSTRIES]
- Which of the following best describes your marital status? [LIST STATUS]
- Which of the following best describes your ethnicity? [LIST ETHNICITIES]
- What is the highest level of education you have achieved? [LIST LEVELS OF EDUCATION]
- What is your 5-digit ZIP Code of residence? [OPEN-ENDED WITH 5 CHARACTERS]
- What is the 5-digit ZIP Code where your company is located? [OPEN-ENDED WITH 5 CHARACTERS]
- How many people work at your company or organization? [LIST RANGES]
- Which best describes your job role? [OPEN-ENDED OR LIST OF TITLES OR ROLES]
- What is your area of responsibility? [OPEN-ENDED OR LIST OF RESPONSIBILITIES]
No organization loves to receive negative feedback from customers or the general public. However, when conducting VoC research or any other type of market research for that matter, negative feedback is more important to evaluate than positive feedback.
- How likely are you to recommend [INSERT COMPANY, BRAND, PRODUCT, OR SERVICE] to a friend, family member, or colleague?
- How easy is it to do business with [INSERT COMPANY]?
- How likely are you to switch to another company when purchasing [PRODUCT OR SERVICE] in the next 12 months?
- How likely are you to purchase another [PRODUCT OR SERVICE] from [COMPANY or BRAND] in the next 6 months?
- How satisfied are you with [INSERT COMPANY, BRAND, PRODUCT, OR SERVICE]?
What do you want to be improved about [INSERT COMPANY, BRAND, PRODUCT]?
Realistically, not all improvements can be made instantaneously. Create a business plan to rectify the most mentioned improvements first.
Make sure to update your customers and non-customers once these changes have been made.
This will show your company takes customer feedback seriously and will make any necessary improvements to best meet their needs and expectations.
- Would you like a follow-up from [INSERT COMPANY] for any reason?
- Would you like to participate in future market research opportunities with [INSERT COMPANY OR BRAND]?
- What do you like best about [INSERT COMPANY, BRAND, PRODUCT, OR SERVICE]?
- What do you want to be improved about [INSERT COMPANY, BRAND, PRODUCT, OR SERVICE]?
- How would you rate your satisfaction with each of the following at [INSERT COMPANY, BRAND, PRODUCT, OR SERVICE]?
- How would you rate your dissatisfaction with each of the following at [INSERT COMPANY OR BRAND]?
- Would you be willing to provide a testimonial for [INSERT COMPANY OR BRAND] for marketing purposes?
- Have you visited the [INSERT COMPANY OR BRAND] website at www.[COMPANY].com in the past 3 months?
- How would you rate the [COMPANY OR BRAND] website on each of the following?
- What are the most important types of information you are looking for when you visit a website like [COMPANY OR BRAND]?
- What type(s) of blog content would you be most interested in reading on the [INSERT COMPANY OR BRAND] blog?
Drive Research is a national Voice of Customer (VoC) firm located in Upstate New York. We work with a variety of clients across the country to assist with VoC design, implementation, and consulting. Our team custom creates and manages VoC surveys that address your key objectives.
Ways to contact Drive Research:
- Message us on our website
- Email us at email@example.com
- Call us at 888-725-DATA
- Text us at 315-303-2040
A SUNY Cortland graduate, Emily has taken her passion for social and content marketing to Drive Research as the Marketing Coordinator. She has earned certificates for both Google Analytics and Google AdWords.
Learn more about Emily, here.