It's sports lovers' and gamblers' favorite time of year again.
The annual NCAA men’s basketball tournament (a.k.a. “March Madness”) is well on its way.
To celebrate one of the most popular sporting events in the country, our market research company compiled a list of the top 20 facts and trivia to talk about when watching the games.
Statistics Sourcing Information & More Fun Facts
- 16.2 M tournament brackets completed in 2021. (ESPN)
- There is a 1 in 9.2 quintillion chance that someone could correctly pick the winner of every game in the 64-team NCAA tournament. (NCAA)
- 89% say office pools build better camaraderie with workers. (HR Daily)
- 20% spend 3 to 5 hours tracking the games during work. (WalletHub)
- An American Gaming Association survey projected $10.4 billion will be wagered on the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament, including office pools. (WalletHub)
- 2X much is wagered on March Madness than the Super Bowl. (WalletHub)
- 31% increase in streams of march madness live. (WalletHub)
- $2M estimated record price of a 30-second ad during the 2021 title. (NextTV)
- Ad revenue for the NCAA Tournament rose from $782 million in 2011 to $1.18 billion in 2019. 51% increase. (WalletHub)
- 11 titles won by UCLA (most of any team).
- 20 final four appearances by the North Carolina Tar Heels (most of any team).
- Head Coach Jim Boeheim becomes the first men's coach to win an NCAA Tournament game in 6 different decades. (Daily Orange)
- 23% increase in chicken wings orders during the tournament. (WalletHub)
- 19% increase in beer sales during march madness. (WalletHub)
- 19% increase in pizza orders during march madness. (WalletHub)
- 9% increase in dessert orders during march madness. (WalletHub)
- $13.3 Billion: Corporate losses due to unproductive workers during March Madness. (CBS)
- $100 Million: Projected economic impact on Indianapolis from March Madness 2021. (Indy Star)
- $1,506 starting retail ticket price for the 2021 final four games. (Indy Star)
- The 2021 tournament marks the first time a single state will host the tournament in its entirety. (WalletHub)
Drive Research is a full-service market research company located in New York. Our team of senior market research professionals partners with brands across the country to execute qualitative and quantitative services (regardless of what team you're rooting for).
To learn more about our services, contact our team today!
- Message us on our website
- Email us at email@example.com
- Call us at 888-725-DATA
- Text us at 315-303-2040
A SUNY Cortland graduate, Emily has taken her passion for social and content marketing to Drive Research as the Marketing Coordinator. She has earned certificates for both Google Analytics and Google AdWords.
Learn more about Emily, here.