Market Research Tampa Bay, FL | Key Statistics and Data

On our market research blog we often take an in-depth look at markets and cities across the United States such as Buffalo, NY or Springfield, MA. Our team shares some high-level demographic summaries to help our readers understand each market and some of the trends in population. You never know when you might need it!

For this post, we take a closer look at a 3-county area in South Florida. This is the market area that surrounds Tampa Bay. With our mapping and demographics software we can understand the market make-up to help ensure our survey responses and focus group participants mimic the area as a whole.

Geographic area of Pinellas, Manatee, and West Hillsborough Counties in the Tampa Florida area.

Demographic Summary

The total population of this market area in Tampa, FL is 2,535,062. The male population accounts for 48% of residents while 52% of the population is comprised of females. The median age is 42.2. The population density is 1,381.7 and the area includes 1,059,033 households. The average household size is 2.3 and there has been a 20.1% growth from 2000 to 2010.

The median income is $50,310. The per capita income is $30,712. The average household income is $72,917. There are a total of 1,302,729 employees in this market area working at 126,800 establishments. Nearly two-thirds of the market is owner occupied units (62.2%) while the other 37.8% is renter occupied. Nearly 9 in 10 units (87.2%) are occupied.

Blue collar jobs account for 34.6% of the employed workforce while 65.4% are white collar. About 75% of the population is white and 14% are black. Other ethnicities account for the remaining percent. Nearly 1 in 5 (19%) have a Hispanic ethnicity.

The largest growth in age groups from 2017 to 2022 is expected in the 65 or older audience. These age groups are expected to grow by more than 20% over the next 5 years. The largest age groups in Tampa, FL are 25 to 64.

 


MOSAIC Group

Experian Marketing Services’ Mosaic USA is a household-based consumer lifestyle segmentation that empowers marketers with the insights needed to anticipate the behavior, attitudes, and preferences of their most profitable customers and reach them in the most effective channels with the best messages.

Top Group: Singles and Starters

The six segments in Singles and Starters contain downscale Generation Y’ers with upwardly mobile aspirations. Concentrated in small cities across the country, these households tend to be young (nearly three-quarters are under the age of 35), ethnically-mixed and unattached (half are single while a quarter are single parents).

Most are on their own and starting to build independent lives in apartments with other young singles. They're college-educated, though not necessarily college graduates and many are toiling away at entry-level positions in service sector jobs. These self-described workaholics share a desire to move up in status and they realize that every career journey starts with a first step.

Key Traits

  • Single lifestyles
  • Urban renters
  • Generation Y
  • Active leisure lives
  • Aspirational
  • Fashion-conscious
  • Liberal views
  • Early tech adopters
  • Progressive attitudes
  • Digitally influenced

Contact Drive Research

Drive Research is a national market research company serving clients all around the United States. Although we are based in Upstate New York, our team works with industries coast-to-coast.

Interested in pursuing a market research project with our company? We can send you a quote or a proposal. Contact us at info@driveresearch.com or call us at 315-303-2040.

Contact Us

 

Market Research Services Category