What is a screener in marketing research?
A screener is a series of qualifying questions to determine if the respondent fits specific criteria to participate in a research study. Screeners are conducted over the phone and online. If the participant fails to match the criteria needed to participate he or she is disqualified from the study and no further questions are asked.
Some typical criteria covered in marketing research screener include the following:
- Ensuring the participant does not work in marketing research, marketing or advertising
- Ensuring the participant is at least 18 years of age
- Ensuring the participant lives or works in a certain geography
- Ensuring the participant fits specific demographics or firmographics
- Other more specific criteria as needed:
- Buying certain products
- Being a customer
- Shopping at specific stores