A patient satisfaction survey, or sometimes referred to as a patient affinity survey, is a common methodology in healthcare market research.
A patient affinity survey answers the following questions:
- How satisfied are patients?
- Do patients trust their primary care physician (PCP)?
- How likely are patients to switch physicians? Why?
- How likely are patients to switch medical practices? Why?
- How can the medical practice improve patient satisfaction?
Our healthcare market research firm recently conducted this type of survey for a medical practice. This blog post will outline the objectives, approach, and results of the study.
Commercial Patient Affinity Survey Objectives
Drive Research was hired to conduct a survey with commercial patients of a medical practice.
The patient survey addressed the following core objectives:
- Patient loyalty to the primary care physician (PCP)
- Patient loyalty to the medical practice
- Patient loyalty to their current insurance carrier
- Likelihood and motivations to switch physicians
The patient satisfaction survey explored opportunities for new insurance products for patients and understand the value of health care at the medical practice. There were also secondary objectives addressed by the research study.
The healthcare market research gathered an honest perspective on metrics through a third-party lens. The outcomes of the market research aided the client with operations, marketing, and strategy.
Approach to the Patient Satisfaction Survey
In order to collect survey responses, Drive Research followed the following process:
- Program the survey into our online software system.
- Review the survey with our internal testing team.
- Send a link to the medical practice so their team can test the survey and request any changes.
- Create an email requesting patients of the medical practice to respond to the satisfaction survey.
- Soft-launch the email survey - here's why.
- Fully launch the email patient satisfaction survey.
- Analyze the results as they are submitted.
- Send a reminder email to patients of the medical practice.
- Close fieldwork and clean the survey data.
More details of the patient survey.
Fieldwork for the survey began on March 11 and lasted until March 19, 2020.
The commercial survey took an average of 10 minutes to complete and included 38 questions. The survey received 469 completes.
Patient Satisfaction Survey Results
The report included a background and methodology, an executive summary of themes, infographic, respondent persona, recommendations, and the next steps for market research. The appendix included a detailed question-by-question breakdown of the results.
The executive summary answered the following questions:
- Are commercial patients satisfied with the medical practice?
- Are commercial patients satisfied with their PCP?
- Do commercial patients trust their PCP?
- Why would commercial patients switch?
- Are commercial patients satisfied with their insurance carrier?
- Are commercial patients interested in additional services?
The reliability of this data is high.
At the 95% confidence interval, the margin of error for these results is +/- 4.5%. This means if the survey was conducted with another 469 random commercial patients, results would yield within +4.5% or -4.5% of the totals 95 out of 100 times.
Drive Research is a full-service market research company. Our experts work with healthcare facilities and medical practices across the country to deliver the insights and data they need to improve the patient experience.
Interested in partnering with our team? Contact us today!
- Message us on our website
- Email us at email@example.com
- Call us at 888-725-DATA
- Text us at 315-303-2040
As a Senior Research Analyst, Emily is approaching a decade of experience in the market research industry and loves to challenge the status quo. She is a certified VoC professional with a passion for storytelling.
Learn more about Emily, here.