Finding success in the highly competitive beauty industry is becoming increasingly difficult as consumers continue to evolve. Beauty market research is helpful in understanding target consumers and measuring the effectiveness of advertising.
Beauty market research answers key questions before launching an advertising campaign including:
- Wondering what ad makes customers most likely to try your product or service?
- Wondering what offer is most appealing to customers?
- Wondering what resonates with customers after they see an ad?
These insights help take the guesswork out of knowing what ads will or will not resonate with target consumers. Better yet, ad effectiveness research improves advertising return on investment (ROI) by collecting customer feedback BEFORE a campaign is created. This saves time, money, and resources.
Our market research company recently partnered with a nation’s leading beauty retailer to conduct advertising effectiveness research. Learn more about the objectives, approach, and results of beauty market research.
Objectives of the Beauty Market Research
Our team drafted the survey document, managed fieldwork with an online panel, and prepared the report.
The main objective of the study was to optimize space and messaging to ensure ads are reaching the audience.
Secondary objectives of the beauty market research included:
- What messaging is working
- Whether respondents understand the service advertised
- Whether the advertisement/offer is enticing
- If promotions are being presented effectively
Additionally, the beauty brand had specific criteria for who was to participate in the research study.
The target criteria for the ad effectiveness survey included:
- U.S. consumers
- Age 18 to 60
- Primary or shared decision-maker for beauty
- Household income of $25,000 or more
- Interest in specific beauty products and services
- Purchased beauty products/services in the past 12 months
- Shopped for beauty/grooming products in the past 6 months
- Spend $8 or more in a typical month on beauty/grooming
- Aware of the beauty brand
- Willing to purchase from the beauty brand in the future
Approach to Beauty Market Research
Based on the objectives of the beauty retailer, our market research company recommended conducting advertising effectiveness research.
An advertising effectiveness survey is beneficial in identifying:
- What advertisement resonates the most with target consumers
- Whether customers understand what is being advertised
- How likely customers are to try to product/service being advertised
- Whether advertisements are being shown effectively
The online survey gathered 400 responses from the target audience. The survey included 70 questions and took 20 minutes to complete.
Fieldwork began on October 6 and lasted until October 12, 2020. The margin of error for the study was +/- 4.9%.
Results of the Beauty Market Research
While the results remain confidential with the beauty retailer client, the market research was successful in answering the following questions:
- Which of the following beauty retailers are you aware of?
- Which of the following beauty retailers would you be willing to purchase from in the future?
- What factors are most important to you in selecting a store or website for beauty products?
- Please review the image below and share what you like about the image.
- Review the images below for at least 10 seconds. Which of the images do you like the least?
- Please review the image below and share what you don’t like about the image.
- Thinking about the images you just saw, which of the following offers do you recall?
- After reviewing each of the offers below, what are the top 3 offers that are most enticing to you?
The results of the ad effectiveness survey included a comprehensive report using the beauty brand’s template, a full export of crosstabs in Excel which included significance testing, and the raw data file.
The report document leads with the background, objectives, and methodology of the market research and then features the key findings, summary, and appendix.
The appendix included the question by question analysis of the survey and a copy of the survey document.
The beauty industry is becoming increasingly competitive. To stand out against the competition, consider conducting market research with your target market.
Drive Research, a national market research company, can deliver quick, effective insights through a variety of methodologies.
To learn more about our services, please contact us!
- Message us on our website
- Email us at email@example.com
- Call us at 888-725-DATA
- Text us at 315-303-2040
As a Senior Research Analyst, Emily is approaching a decade of experience in the market research industry and loves to challenge the status quo. She is a certified VoC professional with a passion for storytelling.
Learn more about Emily, here.